4 Jun 2012

Birthday cupcakes


Cupcakes are one of life's simple pleasures. My personal favourites and the ones I have made for my birthday tomorrow (and belatedly my Mom's birthday), are coffee cupcakes. You might think it a little strange that I have made my own birthday cupcakes, but baking is a real joy for me (and I won't let Jacob interfere - not because he is incapable - I am just highly possessive of my cupcakes!) So here they are, cute little cupcakes with an intense hit of coffee; just how I like them. 

Coffee cupcakes

For 12 regular cupcakes

Ingredients

For the cupcakes
 
110 g margarine 
150 g vanilla sugar
80 g dark brown soft sugar
2 free-range eggs
250 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp espresso powder
125 ml milk

For the icing

60 g margarine
200 g icing sugar
1 tbsp espresso powder
2 tsp milk

Notes - The use of dark brown sugar means that the cupcakes take on a rich, caramelised flavour. You should try your best to use this. Make sure you use a good quality, strong espresso powder. It is easiest to use a hand-held electric mixer to make these cupcakes, unless you are lucky enough to own a bench-top mixer (in which case I am very jealous! I am saving up for one). 


Method

For the cupcakes 

1. Line your muffin tray with cupcake cases and preheat your oven to gas mark 4.

2. Cream the margarine with both of the sugars until the mixture is well-combined and has become lighter in colour.  Next, thoroughly beat in the eggs until smooth. 

3. Mix together the flour, baking powder and espresso powder. Beat half of this into the margarine mixture, followed by half of the milk. Repeat this step and you should have a lovely brown batter ready to bake into delicious cupcakes. 

4. Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases (each one should be around 3/4 full) and then place into the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden and a cake skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 

5. Leave to cool slightly and then remove from the muffin tray and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.

For the icing

1. Place your margarine into a bowl and beat with a fork until soft. Thoroughly beat in the espresso powder.

2. Next, gradually mix in the icing sugar until all combined. Beat in the milk to achieve a lovely smooth buttercream.

3. Once your cupcakes are cold, ice them generously with the buttercream and tuck in!

Sasha


 

1 comment:

  1. MmMMMmmmmMMmmMmmmmmMmmMMmmm hope u will demonstrate this wonder in Shropshire as well... :-p xx

    ReplyDelete